Leadership requires vision. Leadership requires understanding the territory prior to arriving. In our experience, a wife’s spiritual status is often dependent on the husband’s spiritual status. While a woman is fully capable to develop her relationship with God on her own, the Scriptures do teach that wives are to look to the husbands for leadership (Ephesians 5:22-24) just as the church looks to Christ.
In this episode, Veronica and I discuss how husbands can gain the vision God has for His daughters by studying the famous passage of Proverbs 31. What most Christians don’t know is that the originally intended audience for this passage of scripture is not women, but men.
You can see this in the instructive language in the opening line in verse 10 and the closing line in verse 31. Verse 10 says “An excellent wife who can find her? She is far more precious than jewels.” It’s clearly talking to the men. It’s asking the men a serious question. It continues in verse 31 with, “Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates.”Again, it confronts the reader as male and not female. In this fun conversation, we break down the basics of how men should be viewing this passage of scripture in light of a healthy marriage.
In addition to our teaching time, we answer two critical questions from our listening audience. You can view those questions at the bottom of this page and hear our responses at the closing of this episode. Also, if you have a question you would like answered on the show, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Worthy Quotes From This Episode
- “Men, you cannot celebrate and value what you do not know to be valuable and worth celebration.”
- “Proverbs 31 is not the doctrines of a godly woman it’s the description of a godly woman. The doctrines are found elsewhere.”
- “Treat a woman as she is, and she will remain as she is. Treat a woman as she could be and should be, and she will become that woman.”
- “If she is not a Proverbs 31 woman she is simply married to a man who doesn’t know how to lead her there. “
Scripture From This Episode
- Proverbs 31:10 “An excellent wife who can find her? She is far more precious than jewels.”
- Proverbs 31:31 “Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates.”
Questions Answered In This Episode
- How do I deal with my husband who, on occasion, brings up past faults in a current argument?
- How long have you left your kids and do you believe it’s important to take kid-free vacations?
This Week’s Memory Verse
- Men: Proverbs 31:10 “An excellent wife who can find her? She is far more precious than jewels.”
- Women: Proverbs 31:30 “Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.”
Lastly, did anything stand out in this show? Do you have any comments, additions or questions? Let us know about them in the comments below.