For me, that means I love her with a sacrificial love, I teach her the Scriptures daily, and I walk with her in patience and understanding. It means I do not look at pornography or entertain fantasies or imagery of other women. It means I make wise financial decisions that make her feel safe and cared for. But most of all, it means I pursue God even though I have already found Him.
For her, it means she chooses to follow me—in battle or beauty, while safe or risky, in clarity or uncertainty. It means she does not turn to any other man for spiritual direction. It means she respects me and protects my reputation in all moments of life. It means she builds the core of her ministry from our home—to create disciples out of our children and to develop a place of rich hospitality and order.
To the world, it may look old-fashioned or outdated or even oppressive, but to us, it is the formula of joy and peace and love. You cannot renovate God’s blueprint for marriage. His design cannot be improved upon. You can make all the comments you want about how the Bible is outdated but those who follow His ways just so happen to be those who also have the strongest marriages.
In this episode, Veronica and I break down the very basics of a biblical marriage. While we do not dive deep into the how we seek to understand the why and the design behind God’s vision for marriage.
Worthy Quotes From This Episode
- There’s nothing more difficult in a marriage than two people who are playing by two sets of rules.
- Marriage isn’t hard because its the first time you have to deal with the opposite sex. Marriage is hard because it’s the first time you have to deal with yourself.
- A Christian Divorce screams to the world “What we believe isn’t true!”
- If the marriages within the Christian church return void than why should the world believe that Jesus is going to come back to marry his bride, the church?
Scripture From This Episode
- Matthew 19:4-6 “He answered, “Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, 5 and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.”
- 1 Corinthians 7:3-4 “Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband. The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.”
- John 17:20-21 “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me.”
Questions Answered In This Episode
- As a wife, how can I help my husband become the spiritual leader of our home?
- How do we diffuse an argument in our marriage?
Lastly, did anything stand out in this show? Do you have any comments, additions or questions? Let us know about them in the comments below.