I’m going to be blunt. Our world has hijacked the landscape of sexuality and vandalized it, confused it, and distorted it until it has become a wasteland of brokenness. In addition, we have devalued our purity, we have taken on shame through pornography, and our hearts have been seared with sinful thoughts and sexual sickness only to be solved through death and re-birth birth in Christ.
As married couples who desire to adopt and live out God’s original design for sexuality, it can become incredibly difficult to distinguish what it healthy and unhealthy. Without a firm and mature perspective on Scripture, many Christians feel as if they are floating in a sea of uncertainty and need to be reminded again what is healthy and normal and biblical.
In this episode, Veronica and I unearth the very basic design for marital sexuality found within the Bible. We help bring back the proper understanding and value sex has within a Christian marriage.
In addition to our teaching time, we answer two critical questions from our listening audience. You can view those questions at the bottom of this page and hear our responses at the closing of this episode. Also, if you have a question you would like answered on the show, please email us at email@example.com
Worthy Quotes From This Episode
- 80% of all divorces are a result of some form sexual immorality.
- 54% of Christian men and 34% of Christian women look at pornography on a regular basis.
- The decline of affection in a marriage almost always leads to adulterous relationships.
- In a biblical marriage, your wedding day is a signing over your body and will, your independence and your freedom, your self-identity and your individualism to your spouse.
- Married couples, you do not have the right (biblically speaking) to refuse what your spouse has the matrimonial right to receive.
- In a healthy Christian marriage, we are not to hold a position of ownership of our body as a way to obstruct access for the purpose of a selfish desire.
- Remember, while you’re ignoring your spouse, Satan will make sure someone else is begging for their attention.
Scripture From This Episode
- 1 Corinthians 7:3-5 “Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. 5 Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
- 1 Corinthians 7:2 “Because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife and each wife have her own husband.”
Questions Answered In This Episode
- I am currently in college and trying to navigate dating in a way that honors the Lord. I would love to hear from both of you on what spiritual leadership should look like in dating. What qualities should I be on the lookout for in a man? How can I tell if a man is going to be a godly, spiritual leader as a husband? What can I or should I be doing to encourage spiritual growth in a dating relationship? What should I do now to prepare to be a godly wife one day?
- My fiancé and I are in school still and when we get married I will be working full time to provide while he is in grad school full-time. If God designed woman’s role to be the homeworker, is it unbiblical for her to be working a job outside of the home?
This Week’s Memory Verse
- Men: Proverbs 31:10 “An excellent wife who can find her? She is far more precious than jewels.”
- Women: Proverbs 31:30 “Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.”
Lastly, did anything stand out in this show? Do you have any comments, additions or questions? Let us know about them in the comments below.